- (0:30) – Tech Industry: Where Is The Value?
- (1:50) – Stock Screener By Industry Sector
- (5:00) – Tracey’s Top Stock Picks
- (14:00) – Episode Roundup: Podcast@Zacks.com
Welcome to Episode #63 of the Value Investor Podcast
Every week, Tracey Ryniec, the editor of Zacks Value Investor portfolio service, shares some of her top value investing tips and stock picks.
With stocks still hitting new all-time highs, and one of the most popular sectors being technology, Tracey decided to check and see if there were any stocks that qualified as values.
She ran a screen of stocks with P/Es under 15 and Zacks Computer and Technology sector. Zacks has 18 stock sectors and 265 industries. It’s easier to screen by sector because you get a broader range of stocks.
In this case, the screen produced just 18 stocks and that’s without even adding a good Zacks Rank.
Out of those stocks, Tracey picked 5 that had interesting stories.
5 Cheap Tech Stocks Right Now
1. KT Corporation (KT – Free Report) was formerly known as Korea Telecom. It has a forward P/E of just 9.7 and also has a cheap P/B and P/S ratio. But, yes, it’s headquartered and does business in South Korea. Are you willing to dive into that risk with all the geopolitical jitters?
2. Micron (MU – Free Report) already reported earnings and saw revenue up over 90%. It’s super cheap, with a forward P/E of just 5.6 as the earnings estimates have been soaring. But can it keep up this pace past fiscal 2018?
3. Western Digital (WDC – Free Report) , the storage company, has been lagging in 2017. It’s also really cheap, with a forward P/E of 7.4. You’ll get a dividend for your troubles, currently paying 2.3%. Investors might want to check in on the upcoming earnings conference call.
4. J2 Global (JCOM – Free Report) has two business segments: cloud based communications and digital media. It owns Geek.com, PC Magazine and Everyday Health, as well as others. This mid-cap has a forward P/E of just 13.8.
5. IEC Electronics (IEC – Free Report) is a micro-cap New York company that manufactures complex devices in the medical, aerospace & defense and industrial industries. It has a forward P/E of just 7.6. Best to do your research because Zacks only has one analyst estimate on the company.
While cheap technology stocks do exist, there aren’t many.
As always do your own research into why the stocks are trading well below the overall market. During earnings season, listen to the conference calls. Check those fundamentals and what is going on with the business.
What else should you know about cheap tech stocks?
Tune into this week’s podcast to find out.
Want more value investing insights from Tracey?
Value investors are a special breed of investor. They don’t follow the herd.
If that is your style of investing, be sure to check out Tracey’s weekly Value Investor service to receive more in-depth analysis on value companies and see which stocks she thinks are the best bargains now.
The Value Investor portfolio holds between 20 and 25 value stocks for the long haul.
Click here to learn more>>>